Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Daily 5: Chapter 6


In my class I  introduce two new sight words a week, and I keep track of the ones that they know with a quiz every 8 weeks that I record in my grade book. I send a list of the words they miss home to their parents so they can get extra practice on those. Students who need more of a challenge are given more words. Once the week is over, I move the words from our front board to our word wall, so the students can reference them throughout the year.

Some things I have that would work for word work are magnet letters, playdough, sand trays, stamps, center games, plus lots of phonics games from my themed units. I would love to get some playdough letter stampers from Lakeshore Learning for this center – maybe my next donors choose project.

I am thinking I will get a multi drawer organizer for my word work choices, and keep it at my word work table. The kids can either do their work at the word work table, or at any other table.

I also have a writing center, which is housed with a variety of different writing papers, pencils, crayons, erasers, sight word lists, seasonal word lists, and a poster giving them lots of ideas of things they could write about. My students like to write letters, lists, stories, poems, etc. here.

I’m on the lookout for some great writing center activities, so if you have one let me know! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to decided how to store my word work activities as well. It's a lot to think about. I want it to be easy for the kids to access yet not take up too much space. There are so many ideas of things to do for word work that I can't get my mind around it all. I like your idea of adding two sight words a week. I teach pre-k and will be starting sight words this year. I wasn't sure how to start out but that sounds like a good pace. I think I will use your idea. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete