Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Daily Five Book Study: Chapter 3



1.    Establish a gathering place for brain and body breaks.
I have a large carpet at the front of my room where we gather as a whole class. I don’t have a cute name for it, but since I’m doing a dog theme, maybe I should call it the dog park or something? I’ll have to work on a name.
2.    Developing the concept of 'good fit' books.
I loved the shoe lesson presented in this chapter, where they talked about different shoes and whether or not they fit and what purpose they serve. I definitely want to bring in a bag of shoes to teach good fit books. I’ve also seen cute lessons with Goldilocks and the Three Bears. I think anything kids can relate to is going to make the idea concrete to them.  

3.    Create anchor charts with students. 
This I’m pretty good at. We make anchor charts for everything in my room. I do need to get a little more  creative with where to hang stuff as we often start running out of room!

4.    Short, repeated intervals of independent practice and setting up book boxes.
I have these boxes from Lakeshore Learning courtesy of donors choose:

 I think they will work perfect for book boxes. At the beginning of the year I like to let them browse and choose books that interest them, since most can’t read at that point anyways. Once we finish assessments, begin reading groups, and have our good fit lesson I’ll have them start picking good fit books to put in them.

5.    Calm signals and check in procedures.
I definitely need to figure something out for calm signals, I’ve been eyeing the music wands and might have to order one. Right now I just have my bell. My students turn in their work in a large pocket chart made to hold file folders. Each child has a file folder their finished work goes into for me to check.  

6.    Using the correct model/incorrect model approach for demonstrating appropriate behaviors.
Love, love, love this. I always model the right way, but I think having a “challenging” child demonstrate the wrong way and then the right way can really help nip inappropriate behaviors in the bud. It still gives those kids the attention they are seeking, but in a positive way.

Don't forget to link up with Tammy this week!
Next week we will be heading to Mrs. Miner's for Chapter 4!



5 comments:

  1. I'm your newest follower! I am going to aspire to be as good as you are with anchor charts! I posted a couple of ideas from my classroom for signals! I hope you'll check it out!

    Greg
    Smedley's Smorgasboard of Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There! Okay I have a question about your frames that you use in the above post. I purchased some and played around with them. But I can't seem to get away from the white border showing up around the frame when I try to change the background color. I see where you have a different background color and then white inside for the text. Would you be willing to let me know how you did that to make the inner part white. I have used a trick in the past to get rid of that white border but its not working. Love to hear from you. Chris Kazanjian

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on your donor chose purchase!! I've signed up for it, but didn't take it further. You've inspired me to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a thought on modeling the correct/incorrect way... I've heard several times around blog world that you should let your students model the correct way but then YOU should model the incorrect way. Several reasons for this but most importantly, if they are doing it wrong, they are putting this into their muscle memory! And also, I let my students try this last year and they were SO silly and crazy, the students were laughing and acting like goofballs and it just ruined the whole point of the lesson. From then on, all they wanted to do was the wrong way because everyone thought it was so hilarious!! Anyways, just thinking out loud and wondering what others think about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Ashley. What you are saying makes a lot of sense! :)

    ReplyDelete