Thursday, July 4, 2013

Throwback Thursday! {July 4, 2013}

HAPPY JULY 4th!  I'll be heading out for fireworks and fun at the beach later, but right now it's time to link up with Cara Carroll for another edition of....

This week I'm highlighting a post from last year all about Open House/Meet the Teacher/Orientation.  It's full of ideas to make a great first impression on parents and students! Make sure you read all the way through, there is something special at the end!
HAPPY 4th!!!!  
 ______________________________________________________________________

The weekday before school starts (Friday this year since school starts on a Monday) we hold "Meet The Teacher" where families come and see the room, meet the teacher, and pick up information. They can also drop off their supplies if they bring them. 

Here's my room all set up for Meet The Teacher. We grabbed the balloon idea off pinterest from HERE. Each balloon is attached to a poster that they take home and decorate as an "All about me collage" for our student of the month boards. 


This is the packet of papers that was at their desks. Many of these were from (or adapted from) Cara CarrollOn Top was their dismissal clip, which parents clipped to our dismissal chart so I would know how they go home on the first day. They also had an order form for our first day fundraiser (more about that later) and a to do list. 

Next was a paper all about me, and a class supply list - 

Two student information forms - 

Volunteer Form and our District Student Release form (for pictures, videos etc.) - 

Our Class Schedule and a letter outlining my discipline system - 

A paper outlining what the students will be learning in Kindergarten, and Expectations - 

When parents finished filling out the forms they sorted them into three baskets (student information, release forms, volunteer forms) on top of my cubbies - 

I also set up brown paper bags around our carpet for supplies - 

Each one was labelled with a supply so that students who brought theirs could sort them right into the bags and not dump them into a huge pile on a table for me to sort later (this way they do all the work!)

_____________________________________________________________________________________
The bag labels I used for sorting supplies are now a freebie for my facebook fans! Please like my page, then click on fan freebies to grab yours! 
 

3 comments:

  1. This was an incredibly helpful post and even though I've been teaching forever, I love all these ideas to use to spice up my back to school parent meeting! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The open house supply bags are a great idea! Thanks so much for all of your great suggestions...

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an awesome post! Do you have the paperwork you had out to share with us too??

    ReplyDelete